My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://mrsmommymack.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Ashley, Food and God

I just finished reading the book Women, Food and God. I say "finished" because I started reading it

Buy this immediately.
four years ago (back when I was single and living along) and had to put it away because every time I read a paragraph I ended up sobbing hysterically into a pillow. That is how many aha moments are in there. Honestly, I don't care if you weight 100 pounds; that book will change your life.

The biggest takeaway I got from the book this time is: I don't have to count calories, starve myself, only eat kale for 30 days, etc in order to "succeed" in dieting. Really, all I need to do is eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I wish I could have raked in the bucks that author Geneen Roth did by stating such an obvious feat. It's much easier said than done though.

Roth also talks about eating what your body is asking for. Yes, if your body is dying for a hot fudge sundae, eat it. But your body is not dying for 12 sundaes 30 days in a row. It's funny, I have been going by this mentality for the past few days and the amount of food I eat is probably cut in half and the quality is probably doubled. I had eggs and oatmeal for dinner last night. No cheese on my eggs either. I have never eaten eggs without cheese. But, I asked myself, "Do you really want the cheese?" And it didn't sound all that great. The eggs however, were calling my name.

With this newfound confidence, the impending holidays don't make me want to pop a Xanax and hide in my bed. I can have Thanksgiving dinner without following it up with a suicide note. I don't have to eat until I look like a stuffed turkey and I can just eat the things I really want. Do I really want cranberry sauce? Nah. Do I really want 16 pieces of pumpkin pie? No. Do I want turkey, potatoes and stuffing? Yes, but I think I have the ability to eat less than epic proportions.

Also, I have been eating so much salad it's unreal. I have always loved salads, but always felt I was missing out on something if I ate them. How seriously messed up is my brain? I WANT a salad. I hardly ever WANT Burger King but always choose it because I think that's the exciting part about life...eating deep-fried everything. Good God, I need therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment